Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Friday 27 March 2009

Cheap Risotto Rice

In December I started keeping a price book. If you don't have one already, I would definitely recommend doing so - I did not really appreciate how significant the savings could be before I started.

It was very interesting to see how different foods compared to each other and one that particularly struck me was the huge difference in price between "pudding rice" and the special risotto rices such as arborio and carnaroli. The cheapest risotto rice was £2.16/kg which was more than double the 96p/kg for pudding rice.

After much unsuccessful searching on the internet to find out the difference, I decided to take the plunge and try out pudding rice in a risotto (pea risotto to be precise). I am pleased to report that the only difference was a slight reduction in the cooking time - other than that, there was no apparent difference. So if you like risottos, I would definitely recommend using pudding rice instead of the more expensive "official" risotto rice.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Risotto rice (or all those 'fancy foreign things') can be SOOOOO overpriced in supermarkets!

Then, if you go to an ethnic store (say either turkish or chinese) the products won't even be half that price....

I understand that it might be a large step for Dutch people (or british, where you're at!) to walk in a store where most things aren't written in their own language, but then again.. you can save some serious money ;)

Greetings from the netherlands!

Saved Sinner said...

Yeah - I used to like our Chinese supermarket but it closed down. They do have good deals in the "ethnic" section of the supermarket though. I can get tinned coconut milk for a quarter of the price just by picking it up there instead of in the regular aisle.

Post a Comment

"For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether." ~ Psalm 139:4

Comments are now moderated due to spammers. If you wish to make a private comment or you would like to leave a comment but are unable to do so, please feel free to use my contact form near the top right of my blog.

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP