Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Friday 3 April 2009

Frugal "Hamburgers"


Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb mince (ground meat)
  • 1/2 lb lentils and rice
  • 1 cup (1/2 lb) mashed potato
  • 1 egg lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup grated cheese
  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp tomato puree (tomato paste)
  • 2 tsps basil
  • a tiny bit of chilli powder (depending on your taste)

Method
  • Lard a baking tray or roasting tin (I use a roasting tin because it has a lid so saves using aluminium foil to cover).
  • Put all ingredients in a large bowl.
  • Mix thoroughly - this is best done with your hands.
  • Use your hands to shape into about eight "burgers" and place in roasting tin (or baking tray).
  • If using a baking tray, cover with foil.
  • Cook at 350F/GM4 for 45-60 minutes.

5 comments:

Saved Sinner said...

You're welcome.

Anonymous said...

I might try some of these! I have just enough leftover mashed potatoes

Deeny said...

Very interesting recipe Susan. I'll have to give it a try. Most frugal burger type recipes are all vegetarian. I like that this one has some meat (My sister is vegan but I just like meat to much).

I assume that is 1/2 pound of already cooked lentils and rice. Correct.

Have a great day.
Deeny :-)

Saved Sinner said...

Southern Mom and Deeny - you'll have to let me know how you get on with them.

Deeny, yes it is already cooked lentils and rice.

Shalet said...

Ohhh - I could sneak healthy lentils into my kids food ... sneaky, sneaky! Thanks for the recipe!

Post a Comment

"For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether." ~ Psalm 139:4

Comments are now moderated due to spammers. If you wish to make a private comment or you would like to leave a comment but are unable to do so, please feel free to use my contact form near the top right of my blog.

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP