Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Tuesday 28 April 2009

Pride and Prejudice


I first came across Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen through the BBC serial adaptation in about 1995. At the time my opinion on it was rather low as I viewed it as a bunch of women who's only thought in life was snaring a good husband. My opinion did improve on reading the book but I still did not really appreciate and enjoy the love story in it until rereading it after I got married. I do think that having found a husband probably makes it easier to appreciate.

As with Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice contains a range of characters who do not always seem to suffer the consequences of their wrong actions. However the wrong actions are clearly indicated as such so this is not a problem. Reading it straight after Sense and Sensibility I did notice a number of similarities but this did not stop the book from being enjoyable and I would like to read Jane Austen's other works sometime. One thing which particularly struck me this time was that the pride and prejudice was not just on Mr Darcy's part but also on Elizabeth's part. I like the way that people's strengths and weaknesses are discussed and I can see that it is about much more than a bunch of women trying to ensnare husbands.

Having read this book, it is much better than I remembered and definitely one to keep.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

"For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether." ~ Psalm 139:4

Comments are now moderated due to spammers. If you wish to make a private comment or you would like to leave a comment but are unable to do so, please feel free to use my contact form near the top right of my blog.

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP