Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Wednesday 25 June 2008

Works For Me Wednesday - Bloglines

Photobucket

I used to find that even reading half a dozen blogs was very inefficient use of my time. This is because by the time I'd clicked through to each blog I read and waited for it to load up only to find that there weren't any new posts I had used up a lot of time effectively doing nothing.

I guess if every blogger posted at regular intervals this wouldn't be a problem but some people post multiple times a day whereas others may only post two or three times a month. Even those who have a predictable pattern such as a daily post don't post at exactly the same time daily.

Enter Bloglines.

Since discovering Bloglines a couple of months ago (thanks to Buffy) my blog reading is much more efficient and much less wasteful of time:
  • I can see instantly which blogs have new posts so don't need to look at each blog.
  • If I want to comment on a post and can't (for example if I'm feeding while nursing Little Girl and she's a bit too wriggly or if I just don't have time) or I want to refer back to the post for some reason, I can tick the "keep new" option. This then means I don't have to go searching back through people's blogs to find old posts.
  • When I missed a month of blog reading, each blog's posts were on one page meaning I didn't have to click back through loads of pages and Bloglines kept track of what I had and hadn't read so I didn't have to keep track myself.
If you read more than a couple of blogs, I would definitely recommend giving bloglines a try.

14 comments:

Kristin-Homemaker@Heart said...

so that is you....I noticed the lurker that came from blog lines that DIDN'T COMMENT!! LOL
just kidding!
I've actually never heard of bloglines. Neat!

Kayren said...

Thanks for the tip! I know you can subscribe to individual posts, but I didn't know this was out there. I'm going to check it out.

The Apron Queen said...

Umm, you mean it's not OK to spend all day blog reading? You mean I really should go do the laundry & cook some dinner? Darn. Thanks for this tip. I don't use a reader either. Probably should.

Pop on over to see my silly cell phone alternative: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com/2008/06/mr-ed-talking-horse.html

Wani said...

This is so cool. I'll have to check it out!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Thanks for the info. I feel the same. I feel guilty, sometimes, for sitting and reading all my favorite blogs- and especially on Wednesday- trying to read everyone's WFMW post. This is a good idea. Let's be honest, I have got to get the laundry done at some point.

The Momster said...

I'll definately check them out - I find myself spending way too much time catching up on my blogstalking!

Have a great day! And thanks!

Anonymous said...

I like programs like this as well! I use Google Reader. :)

God's blessings and praying you have a beautiful day, Susan!

Kristin-Homemaker@Heart said...

nooooo.....I desperatly want to be a sahm again. But I have to work to help pay for Jesse to go to school. 2 more years *fingers crossed.
Do you spritz your orchid everyday? My mom had the same one I did. It was on the verge of kicking the bucket. I took it home and and spritzed it everday a long with the one pictured and it now has beautiful bright purple flowers.
It really helps just to spray it with water everyday...simulating humidity or something?

Audra Krell said...

I am in a hotel room and the wireless is so slow that I don't have time to wait for each page to load, so thanks for a great tip! Google reader is another one that works well too.

Anonymous said...

I really like bloglines as well, it has been a tremendous help to me.

Sarah said...

I will have to try bloglines. I hear you on checking blogs to find new posts... thanks for the advice you left for me on my post today. I am not sure what I am going to do, but I know 2 blogs are too much to keep up with!

Toni said...

Thanks for the tip Susan!!One of my blog friends in facing a possible cancer diagnosis and I am constantly checking her blog for new info on how she`s doing.This will be a big help for me!Have a blessed day:)

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Thank you so much! I've never heard of Bloglines but it sounds like something that would help me streamline my time as well.

Blessings,
Lea

Buffy said...

Glad you find Bloglines as useful as I do! I used to waste so much time clicking into blogs that hadn't been updated.

Post a Comment

"For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether." ~ Psalm 139:4

Comments are now moderated due to spammers. If you wish to make a private comment or you would like to leave a comment but are unable to do so, please feel free to use my contact form near the top right of my blog.

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP